With the warmer weather brings an abundance of strawberries to make your own jam.
(makes 1.5 ltrs)
2 kg strawberries
1.8 kg white or caster sugar
- Top the strawberries then wash well.
- Place a small plate or saucer in the freezer. (I’ll explain soon)
- Into a large pot add strawberries and sugar.
- Bring to the boil stirring until frothy.
- Scrap down the sides of the pan making sure all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Boil, stirring constantly for approx. 10 minutes.
- Take the small plate out of the freezer and spoon a drop of the jam onto the plate.
- If the jam sets immediately (this is called setting point) take off the stove.
- If the jam runs on the plate, continue to boil and retry the test in 5 minute intervals.
- Sometimes it is good to have 2 plates in the freezer in this instance.
- !!Once the jam drop has set on the plate, remove from heat and bottle immediately. Cover whilst still hot.
- After 1 hour the bottles will have cooled slightly, tighten the lids.