Pies have been given a bad wrap for quite sometime but they don’t have to be all that fatting if you bake it with a twist.
400g lean mince or topside steak
2 onions, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 tin tomatoes or 300g fresh tomatoes chopped roughly
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 teasp. vegemite
1 stock cube
2 cups water
1/2 cauliflower, chopped roughly
1/4 cup grated cheese
- Into a large pot add meat, and all vegetables except for cauliflower. Cook off.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, stock, water and vegemite. Simmer on stove for 1.5hrs hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate saucepan place cauliflower, cover with water and boil until soft.
- Drain then mash.
- Once the meat mix has reduced with the liquid thickened and meat tender, spoon into a casserole dish.
- Top with the caul mash then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a moderate (180) oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with more vege or devour all by itself. Leftovers are great for lunches.